El Salvadorians complain that scammers are using their personal data to install the Chivo cryptocurrency wallet in order to get a $30 bonus in bitcoins from the state.
According to ElSalvador.com, Many people have complained that their identity documents have been used to install the Chivo wallet without their knowledge.
It is believed that the scammers are trying to get $30 in BTC, which the El Salvadorian authorities distribute to all citizens who register the wallet for the first time.
Users fear that if hackers manage to steal their personal data, they will be able to use this information to commit crimes and money laundering. Economist Tatiana Marroquín shared his experience on Twitter when she decided to check if her data was used to install Chivo.
“I didn’t register with Chivo and so I download the app to my mobile phone to check it out. But when I tried to do it, it turned out that my account was already active. How can I be sure that the funds in this wallet are safe and not used for illegal purposes if someone can fake my data? How can we protect ourselves from possible consequences if our data has already been used to receive money from the state?”
Local civil rights organizations recommend that people whose personal information has been used without their consent register a complaint with the Attorney General of the Republic of El Salvador and also contact Chivo technical support. If affected users do not receive a timely response from technical support, they should contact the Consumer Protection Agency.
Recall that after the legalization of bitcoin in El Salvador and the launch of the Chivo wallet, the citizens of the country complained about registration problems.
However, at the end of September, President Nayib Bukele announced that the Chivo app was being used by more than 2.1 million people.
Read more On El Salvador
- President Nayib Bukele Shares First Results Of El Salvador Mining Bitcoin With Volcanoes
- President Nayib Bukele Says El Salvador Will Use Bitcoin Profits To Fund Pet Hospital
- El Salvador’s President Shows First Steps Of Building The Most Awaited Volcanic Geothermal Bitcoin Mining Facility
- El Salvador Buys The Bitcoin Dip Again, According To President Najib Bukele “They Can Never Beat You If You Buy The Dips”
- Bitcoin Is Now Official Currency Of El Salvador
- According To El Salvador President, Nayib Bukele, 1.1 Million Salvadorans Now Using Chivo Bitcoin Wallet
- El Salvador Chivo Bitcoin Wallet Has Surpassed 500,000 Users
- McDonald, Pizza Hut, Starbucks Started To Accept Bitcoin In El Salvador
- El Salvador Makes Further Progress In Making Bitcoin Legal Tender By Setting Up 200 ATMS Across The Country For Exchanging Bitcoin
- In A Surprising Gesture Of Support, Bank Of America Outlines Key Benefits Of El Salvador Bitcoin Adoption
- World Bank Refuses El Salvador Request To Assist With BTC transition